Sunday, December 23, 2007

Thing #19: From the Web 2.0 Award Winners: ETSY, a Love Story

So much to do, so little time. Exploring the nominees and winners on Web 2.0 Awards site is addicting--and very distracting. But it's a great way to discover and sample the best of what's out there.

Getting down to business: I fell in love with Etsy last Spring. We were introduced by Chrissie, a jewelry artisan/librarian-to-be who interned in Youth Services. When I admired her unusual necklace she confessed she had designed and handmade it herself and asked me if I could guess the theme. And I did. "Rainy Day April" was clearly meant to be mine. Chrissie then revealed that she sold her one-of-kind jewelry on a site called Etsy. My first time I nervously typed in the URL and it was love at first site. And then, just when I was about to lose my self-control, "Rainy Day" was finally listed for sale and was soon mine. It wasn't long before I was obsessed, spending hours feverishly browsing through the endless shops of original, handmade items. Chrissie even apologized for introducing us. Yes, Dear Reader, I had developed Etsy lust.

Etsy calls itself "Your Place to Buy and Sell Handmade Things" but it is so much more. Only handmade items and materials can be listed by sellers. Those who don't toe the line can be reported and removed. One can search for items for sale in every conceivable way: by materials, tags, sellers, item description, by date listed, etc. Etsy showcases items in many different ways, including gift suggestions, etc. And while some shops are more expensive than others, more often the seller is an individual artisan whose prices are exceptionally reasonable and affordable.

But Etsy is more than just a marketplace, it's an interactive community. Anyone who wants to buy or sell there has to open a free account. A buyer can mark items and/or individual shops as "favorites"--a good idea as the goods and sites here stretch on and on, seemingly into infinity. Buyers and sellers alike can also mark favorite shops and items with a little heart and see who also has fallen for a particular shop or item. This is not a crass, commercial marketplace; it is a labor of love. These sellers want to find homes for their carefully crafted handmade items where they will be appreciated and loved--a bit like open adoption.

And oh, Dear Reader, I found so many things to love. My heart was pounding when I spotted the luxurious handpainted cashmere/silk yarn, a bargain and impossible to find elsewhere at any price. Then there were the Balinese Silver Earrings, the Hematite Bali bangle,
the dichroic glass pendant--since lost in the library, alas, but I'm learning to live with the pain. I'm offering a reward for its return. And there was so, so much more. Oh, yes, yes, YES! My ardor was out of control.

They say the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. I now strictly limit my visits and purchases. But please don't expect me to give up Etsy entirely. And please forgive me for not introducing you in time for holiday gift-buying. But Etsy is no flash-in-the-pan. Just click and it will be there waiting for you. As for me, it's time to move on. There are so many more sites in the virtual sea waiting to be explored.

No comments: