Monday, December 10, 2007

Thing #13: Tagging with Del.icio.us

Have you heard the one about the librarian who went to open a Del.icio.us account only to discover she already had one? Apparently I opened an account a couple of years ago but gave up and forgot about it when I couldn't figure out how to download the toolbar. The library computers won't accept the download and I got the mistaken impression that the toolbar needs to be downloaded on each computer the account will be accessed from. Wrong. Once I activated the toolbar on my computer at home I was able to access my account from ANY computer. What a big improvement over "favorites" and "bookmarks" that can only be accessed from the computer where they were saved!

Up until now I saved NY Times articles in my "saved" folder on their website, and sent others to a separate Google account I set up for that purpose. While each of these sites can be searched by keywords, this is still a less than ideal system. I really love the idea of a portable list of favorite sites and articles. It may not be possible to save every online article can to del.icio.us, but I plan to find out. The next step for me, and one of my biggest challenges, is to explore this tagging thing and organize and weed what I've saved. The other is resisting the urge to read EVERY article I run across. I'm a compulsive reader and time becomes meaningless as I jump from article to article and link to link. Just browsing the articles on the QL L2.0 Del.icio.us acount was so tempting hours went by like minutes. I do love seeing what others are reading, which is why I love going through the "Most E-mailed Articles" list on the NY Times site. I definitely plan to go back and explore Del.icio.us and organize and tag my own account.

No comments: