Monday, November 26, 2007

Thing 9 -- Fishing for Feeds


Woo-ha! After a (half) night's sleep and a helpful hint from Sharon, I saw why I was having trouble loading blogs to Bloglines. The first newsfeeds I subscribed to were easier to load because they came straight from Bloglines' lists of suggested feeds. But the blogs required one additional step. After entering their URLS and clicking on "subscribe," I had neglected to scroll a little further down the page and click on yet another "subscribe" button. Voila! One more simple step and there was no problem adding blogs to my list of newsfeeds. So now I am able to download the active blogs from this project, making life easier.

I spent a lot more time on Bloglines, which suddenly seemed friendlier once we got to know one another better. I added more searches on personal and medical topics, which I stored in "private" folders. Many of the new feeds I found on Topix.net. Feedster was offline all day. Syndic8 and Technorati seemed less user-friendly, but maybe it's because I'm getting more used to Bloglines now. Technorati's running feed of news stories was distracting, but I was impressed by the way it rated each feed for authority. I wonder how they came up with their formula for this rating. Most of the feeds I found through these sources I saved on my Bloglines account. I think we're going to get to know one another a lot better. Before I never noticed the little icon, but now it seems to be everywhere. I don't think the problem now will be finding feeds but weeding and organizing them.

No comments: